At Segment, we believe companies should be able to send their data wherever they want, whenever they want, with no fuss. Unfortunately, most product managers, analysts, and marketers spend too much time searching for the data they need, while engineers are stuck integrating the tools they want to use. Segment standardizes and streamlines data infrastructure with a single platform that collects, unifies, and sends data to hundreds of business tools with the flip of a switch. That way, our customers can focus on building amazing products and personalized messages for their customers, letting us take care of the complexities of processing their customer data reliably at scale. We’re in the running to power the entire customer data ecosystem, and we need the best people to take the market.
As a Software Engineer on the Personas team, you’ll lead the design and building of pipelines that process hundreds of thousands of requests per second, build realtime identity graphs, and compute billions of data points an hour. You’ll also be responsible for mentoring, sharing knowledge, and guiding the technical decisions of the team to set us up for long-term success, both as a product and as a team.
Who we are:
The Personas team is building a new platform to enable the holy grail of customer data — the single view of the customer. Our team’s goal is to help Segment customers gain a higher level understanding of their end users.
Imagine a platform that can take the hundreds of thousands messages entering Segment’s pipelines every second, add in a new identity graph, and overlay multiple high speed realtime and batch databases — and you have the Personas platform. We’ve since built several successful products on top of the Personas platform — Segment Audiences for realtime audience management, Segment Traits for computation, and Profile API for realtime personalization.
On top of this platform, we iterate quickly on products and features and learn new things daily — all while writing quality code. We work closely with product and design, and there is a tight feedback loop with customers. If you get excited by building products with high customer impact — this is the place for you.
What we do:
- We write cost-efficient load-tested data pipelines and compute systems built on top of them.
- We believe in using the best tool for the job. Our ingestion pipelines are written in Go. We write customer facing features using React, NodeJS and GraphQL.
- We load test our pipelines to hundreds of thousands of messages/sec. We then optimize the system’s cost to achieve strong unit economics.
- We believe in open source as a market differentiator: https://open.segment.com
Who we are looking for:
- You thrive in a fast paced and iterative environment. You are driven more by customer impact than technology.
- You love designing and shipping new products as much as iterating on existing ones.
- You're focused, driven, and can get challenging projects across the finish line.
- You're empathetic, patient, and love to help your teammates grow.
- You have experience running services in production and take software engineering practices seriously. You write meaningful tests and understand the value of great logging, proper monitoring, and error tracking.
- You can design and implement distributed systems solutions that are highly durable and (eventually) consistent.
Projects we’re working on
- Reimagining our identity graph system’s architecture to make it more flexible and scalable to meet new customer dmeands
- Building a high volume, low latency pipeline for syncing updates to user data to hundreds of downstream integration partners.
- Re-architecting our audience computation subsystem to unify the worlds of batch and streaming audience computation.
- Building systems to provide end to end visibility of customer data delivery.