Why this job is exciting
As the engineering manager for our DevOps (we call it distribution) team, you will lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team to achieve ambitious objectives to make Sourcegraph easy to deploy, scale, monitor, and debug for both us and customers. You will be solving challenges in user environments as well as Sourcegraph.com, the largest Sourcegraph instance in the world.
Within one month:
- You will deliver smart, streamlined solutions to our customers solving common on-premise configurations and debugging challenges.
- You will work directly with our support teams to help customers troubleshot, debug, tune, and configure Sourcegraph deployments.
- You will work with other engineering teams to enable new initiatives through infrastructure as well as enhance our systems for performance and scalability.
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your direct reports and peers.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- You will build a better understanding of our high agency value by reading Turn the Ship Around and sharing your thoughts about it with your manager and your team.
Within three months:
- You will simplify and enhance developer experience and tooling shortening the feedback loop.
- You will implement long term observability (and other DevOps pillars) enabling proactive management of our infrastructure.
- You will have a trusting relationship with your direct team and are able to connect their work to their own career goals
- You are able to coach and mentor your direct team to establish career goals and growth plans.
- Your peers in product and engineering are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
- You will be able to communicate the 1-year vision for your teams, and the sustainable execution and hiring plan to get there.
Within six months:
- You will have improved planning, communication, hiring, and onboarding processes to help the team scale as we grow.
- You will celebrate the fact that your org has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
- Sourcegraph Cloud is performant, scalable, and observable
- Sourcegraph customers have seamless and robust deployment/upgrade methods for on-premise hosting
- Sourcegraph developer experience is expedient and predictable with top class continuous deployment, continuous integration, and continuous development tooling
Within one year:
- You will have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- You will collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your team should work towards.
- You will develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.